If you want to sell a gift card, there are dozens of ways to do it. You can head to an online vendor, look into third-party sites like eBay, Craigslist, or Offer Up, or sell your gift card in person. There are distinct advantages, and some clear disadvantages, when it comes to selling your gift card in person.
The Pros and Cons of Selling Your Gift Card in Person
If you’re considering selling your gift card in person, there are a few big things you need to know:
- Selling your gift card in person is immediate. When you find a person to buy the gift card, you’ll have cash in your hand in just a few moments. This is a satisfying, instant-gratification process that many people enjoy.
- You might meet someone interesting. Selling your gift card in person exposes you to new people and increases the likelihood that you’ll meet someone interesting in the process. Even if you’ve never done it before, there are dozens of great ways to expand your social circle by selling the gift card face-to-face.
- You’ll likely get more money for the card. Selling the gift card in person will potentially allow you to claim more of its face value, which should be appealing to people who are willing to put in the extra legwork.
- You could do a partial trade. Selling a card in person allows you to do a partial trade with your buyer – trading your gift card for a certain amount of cash and another gift card on top of that. This is an attractive option for sellers who want the best of both worlds.
- It requires more work. When you sell your card in person (via Craigslist or eBay, for example), you have to list it, monitor responses, set up meeting times to show the card, and deal with getting paid. This is a lot of legwork that most people don’t want to deal with.
- It can be unsafe. Selling your gift card in person can put you at risk of scams and theft, and you may find that you feel uncomfortable sorting through spam and trolling offers from sites like Craigslist and eBay. Unfortunately, these are the realities of offering something for sale online, and it takes a certain level of persistence to navigate your way through it.
- It takes time to get everything in order. When you sell your gift card in person, there’s a great deal of time required to arrange the sale. Selling your card online, on the other hand, requires virtually no time on your end and is very simple throughout.
- You might have a bad experience. If you don’t enjoy selling your gift card in person, it might put you off gift card sales forever.
What’s the Best Option for You?
The best option for your specific gift card sale will come down to your preferences, the amount of time you want to invest, and how much money you expect to get from your card. Keep in mind that gift card sales can be difficult to orchestrate when you do it on your own, and that many people find it faster and easier to sell a gift card through a reputable online merchant, like EJ Gift Cards.
In addition to drawing a higher cash value, this approach also ensures the safety of your personal information, the security of your card’s face value, and the peace of mind that comes with a simple and streamlined process.
If selling a gift card in person sounds intriguing to you, go ahead and try it. If you’d prefer a faster and easier approach, however, don’t be afraid to visit EJ Gift Cards and learn more about gift card sales. With a long history of helping customers sell gift cards, EJ Gift Cards makes it a top priority to provide end-to-end service to gift card customers and make the question of “should I sell my gift card in person?” an obvious one.